-->

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Jamie Lynn Miller Bio and Interview

As promised in my previous post here is a lovely interview with the lady herself.

Interview:

Me: We know you are an author and therefore enjoy writing but what interests you apart from writing?

JLM: I enjoy glass blowing, yoga, going to comic book conventions, bowling, photography and riding the biggest, fastest roller coasters out there.

~~~

Me: Are you a ‘typical’ author who reads as much as she writes? If yes, what are your favourite genres to read?

JLM: Oh yes, very much so. I've been a voracious reader since I was a child. Besides m/m contemporary romance I like to read sci-fi and mysteries.

~~~

Me: Have you always wanted to write Science Fiction or was your interest in other genres first?

JLM: Actually no, surprisingly enough, even though I've been a sci-fi fan since I was six years old when Star Wars first came out. I've been writing contemporary romance for 5 years. Inspiration for An Endless Sea of Stars struck pretty much out of the blue. It was a pleasant surprise! And then I wondered why I'd never written sci-fi before! I've already started the sequel.

~~~

Me: I know a lot of authors have no say in their covers, do you have any say and are you happy with the covers you have on your books?

JLM: With the exception of Memory's Prisoner, I've designed all of my own covers. I'm a graphic designer in my "day job". So I've been extremely lucky in that I always get what I want! :-)

~~~

Me: How hard is it to write believable characters in a Science Fiction setting and do you think writing aliens is easier or harder than human characters?

JLM: An Endless Sea of Stars is an Earth-based book. While I do mention various species of aliens I don't have one as a main character. But I have written aliens in several fanfic stories and I find them more interesting to write than human characters. Because you can do anything with them. Humans have limitations. But aliens can have wings or breathe underwater or even become invisible. Endless possibilities!

~~~

Me: I know most authors hate the question ‘where do your ideas come from’ so I’ll ask instead, what influences your writing ideas?

JLM: My tag line pretty much says it all - "Men in uniform…and out". I've just got a thing for law enforcement or the fire department and now I've spread out into my fictional Interstellar Exploration Alliance, where they all wear uniforms as well. :-) And with my contemporary fiction, real life experiences I've had with the police and fire department have greatly influenced my story ideas.

~~~

Me: Are your family supportive of your writing and what do they think of your stories?

JLM: Only my husband knows that I write m/m fiction. The rest of my family would not be supportive so I have no desire to ever tell them. But that's okay, because my husband has been my biggest cheerleader from day one. He's all I need!

~~~

Me: Did you want to be a writer as a child or did you have a different ambition then?

JLM: While my main focus was always on art, since I was a little kid, I think I always knew I'd get into writing at some point. I was always writing short stories and took as many writing classes as I could in high school. Then I found fan fiction in 1995 and that was truly the start of my writing career and what led me here today.

Me: Thank you so much Jamie for your kindness in answering my questions. Readers if, like me, you want to read An Endless Sea of Stars you will find the buy links in my previous post.



AUTHOR BIO:
Jamie Lynn Miller has been writing fiction since childhood and decided to take the plunge and go pro in 2008, finding to her amazement that people truly enjoyed her love stories. She’s a romantic at heart, and her tales reflect the desire we all have to find “the one,” persevering through trials and heartache for that happy ending.
Jamie has a degree in fine arts and has spent the last twenty years working as a graphic designer, though she’d much rather be writing. She was born in Chicago and still lives there today with her husband and their two furry, four-footed children, er… cats.
If she’s not brainstorming story ideas, you can find Jamie at a sci-fi convention, in front of a furnace doing glass blowing, or on a mat twisted into a yoga pose.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to tell me what you think.